Sunday, September 25, 2011

Little Kids With Cell Phones

           When we're young we all dream of the day when we finally get a cell phone. We beg and beg our parents but all we hear is "when you're older". I was pretty young when I finally got my first cell phone-which at that time looked like a giant graphing calculator- in 6th grade. 80 percent of my friends didn't even have a phone until 7th or 8th grade, which was normal. Today I walk through the store, at sporting events, or just around my neighborhood and see 3rd and 4th graders with cell phones... 9 and 10 year olds! I don't know about you but I think this is a little insane.
         First of all, kids that aren't even in middle school can't drive, so are almost always with an adult, and therefore wouldn't need to contact parents. I would understand contact needed for rides home from school, and school events, etc. but that's what school telephones are for. Next I can say I am jealous of young children that have a better cell phone than I do, and maybe that's why I'm so bitter about this. Also because I didn't get a phone until middle school.
         It's one to give your young child a cell phone, but a smartphone? Not necessary. Children in elementary school should not be on Facebook or Twitter, and most likely aren't going to be email anybody at that age, i would hope. I understand that technology is much more high-tech in the world today, and everybody has all kinds of electronics, but cell phones for 10 year olds are not needed, and a waste of money. My generation is already bad about texting, and not knowing how to communicate on a phone call or an actual face to face conversation. I can't imagine how bad the children that are already texting in elementary school are going to be at our age!

No comments:

Post a Comment