Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Volunteer Work


Volunteer work is kind of an everyday thing, which some people never experience, or get the chance to take part in. I think it is somewhat a rite of passage for every person, and something every person should do at least once in their life, if not more. There are many projects all over the world to help with, and millions of people, also that need your help. Whether it’s working in a soup kitchen, feeding the poor, or helping sand-bag buildings to prepare for a flood, every little bit helps.

Not all volunteer work has to be work, either. Simply donating to the Goodwill, or a shelter, could change someone’s life. I look up to famous and wealthy people who not only work hard to get their money and riches, but also share their wealth with others, and to make the world a better place. For example, Cameron Diaz, trying to promote eco-tourism. Wyclef Jean (Musician) is helping along with George Clooney to help with the problems facing Haiti. Even pop sensation Justin Bieber cut off his coveted and most well-known hair to auction for money which went to children facing hunger all over the world. Anyone can do it, and even the littlest things can do wonders.

I feel as though volunteer work is a bit of a humbling experience. I took part in volunteer work for my church when I helped package non-perishable items to send out to families in need. While working I took a second and thought about the people who I was packaging the food for, and how grateful I am for what I have, and that sometimes I don’t appreciate the gourmet meals, or going out to dinner once a week, that many people may never get to do. It’s hard to think that some whole families will live a month eating only a box of non-perishable goods that were donated. I only worked for 2 hours but I like to think that I helped many families in the process, and it made me feel good about myself.

Word Count: 345

No comments:

Post a Comment