Thursday, May 3, 2012

Book Review: Push


                Push was a very interesting book, one like I had never read before. The main thing to get used to while reading this book is the dialogue, and how the author writes. To some, it may seem almost illegible due to how uneducated the author is, and how it shows through her writing. The author is a 16 year old African American girl with not much knowledge besides street smarts. “I ain’ done nuffin. I doose my work. I ain in no trouble. My grades is good.” This is just one example from the text on how the dialogue can take some getting used to.

               It becomes almost hard to keep track of what is going on in the book with being so focused on the incorrect spelling, and use of words. As the book goes on, and the troubled author meets a teacher that works to teach her proper English, the author’s writing becomes increasingly better. Although the grammar isn’t quite as it should be, it is a noticeable difference and allows you to focus more on the story. Precious, the author, takes up poetry after she meets her new teacher, and shows a few examples in her novel. The formatting is different than I have seen, but it is eye-catching. In the end of the book there are also examples of poems the whole class has written, and it is fascinating to see the difference from the beginning to the end of the novel.

                This book was very inspiring to me, and I would recommend it to anyone who may be struggling in life, or someone who is interested in reading of others overcoming their own struggles. I would not, however, recommend this book to those that may be offended by some of the profanity and cruel language used in this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment