Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Long Car Rides

        Nowadays it is anything but uncommon to go on long car trips. These trips may vary in time depending on how often you travel long distance. Some may consider 30 minutes a long trip, while others may consider 2 hours a short, average trip. Another thing that may effect your view on long trips is your age, and whether or not you are driving.
        Personally I don't mind long car rides because I frequently am taking hour long drives, 4 times a week to Iowa City. These trips I typically go on alone and am driving. Because this is a short trip and I have become used to it, I have started to actually enjoy these car rides. I kind of find it as sort of a time for personal meditation. You can choose whether to have the music on and jam out, singing at the top of your lungs (no matter how bad it sounds), or driving on silence just to reflect on things by yourself. I can listen to my own music and blast it until my ears bleed and no one will judge. I also tend to stock up on food before my Iowa City car rides and eat basically the whole trip there and back for the fun of it, again, no one can judge you.
        The other way to go on a long trip is when you aren't driving. And again there are multiple ways this can happen, the first way might be riding in the car with a friend. These are the times when you are obligated to talk talk talk talk with your friend because of course you can't ignore the person driving you, or fall asleep. My favorite way to go on a long trip is with my whole family. We drive a Suburban, so I get dibs on the farthest back seat and stretch out and sleep pretty much the whole ride, or watch a movie with siblings. It's also different, though, when you are driving with only one parent. I go on more trips with just my mom than I do with my whole family. These are the trips that you are somewhat obligated to stay awake the majority of the ride, because I start to feel guilty leaving my mom driving alone.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment