Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Texting While Driving

               Texting while driving should be illegal. Not just for minors but for everyone. It is one of the most dangerous things that you can do while you are driving. Your chance of being in an accident is increased. You are more distracted and you are a hazard to the people around you.
                While you are texting and driving you are not fully focused on the road. According to CNET’s Jennifer Guevin, “Texting while driving took a drivers focus away from the road for an average of 4.6 seconds- enough time… to travel the length of a football field at 55 mph.” In that 4.6 seconds you can swerve across the lanes, hit pedestrians, be unaware of certain signs and stop lights, change speed drastically, hit other cars, or go off the road. You can also be mistaken for a drunk driver.
                Accidents are increased while texting and driving. Virginia Tech Transportation Institute found that truck drivers who are texting are 23 times more at risk of a “crash or near crash event.” People stop paying attention to the road because they are more focused on the text that they are sending or reading. People may think they can multitask on the road and their phone but they cannot.
                I personally realize I cannot text and drive. I am a hazard to myself and others around me. I tend to swerve around in my lane and almost into others. I speed up without even realizing it. That could cause me to run into people in front of me because sometimes the distance between my car and the car ahead of me is not always realized.
               Texting while driving is hard to resist. Almost everyone does it at least once. Even that one time can cause an injury, a car that is wrecked, or the loss of a life. All of those are proven so it should be illegal. It is not worth the risk.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment