Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Movie Moments"

      
There are some scenarios that people consider “Movie moments”, or moments that you think only happen in movies. Today I had a terrible experience with one of these moments. I was walking innocently down the hallway with my dearest friend Emily having a nice chat while walking to the bathroom, when BAM!!!!! I was completely thrown off the ground and on my back. Completely in awe, I stand up and realize a teacher had viciously opened the door to her classroom and hit me with it. I won’t go overboard and say I needed medical attention, but this blow definitely wasn’t something I was expecting on my peaceful trek to the restroom.
Another example of a “Movie moment” is the infamous pouring milk on the head in the lunchroom. You see it in every teen movie, with the nerdy girl who finally builds up the courage to stand up to the mean girl. Typically, the mean girl will be wearing a white shirt, or brand new expensive outfit that will be completely ruined. Let’s get real; this would never actually happen in real life. There would either be a throwdown-actually a wimpy girl fight- involving a lot of hair pulling, or a whole lot of clawing. (Note: this scene may also happen with any messy food, preferably a type of pasta, like spaghetti, that will make the scene even more dramatic)
            My final-and most ridiculous- movie moment I will mention is the in-sync singing that takes place generally in musicals. We’ll use High School Musical as an example- please take note that I have absolutely nothing against this movie, it is one of my favorites-, although there are multiple scenes where the cast breaks into song I talk about the very first classroom soon. While in homeroom listening to the drama director talk about the spring musical, Troy Bolton spaces off looking at the ticking clock with 1 minute left before summer. The students all start chanting quietly, gradually getting louder, “summer”, “summer”, “summer”… and as the bell rings, they all break into song! WHAT TIME IS IT, SUMMER TIME! And so on with the song. This isn’t the only part that bugs me, but also the way that every dancer seems to know the same routine dance. Again, let’s get real; this would never actually happen in real life.
            Not saying that these are bad things to have in a movie, but it does make the movie way less believable, as well as unrealistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment